Iconic? And bloody historical! Welcome to ManlyFebruary 12 2012 | Posted in Blog,
Hard to believe it was once ILLEGAL to go swimming. But it was.
Local newspaper editor William Gocher defies the law and takes to the water at Manly, this defying action later saw the legalisation of surf swimming in Australia. Nice one, thanks Will.
A few years on, Will's naughty swim results in the beginnings of what will become a cultural identity.
The volunteer Surf Bathing Association of NSW is formed with the aim of maintaining and improving safe swimming conditions on all public beaches.
A bloke from Hawaii, Duke Kahanamoku introduces surfing to Australia at Freshwater Beach.
Just a few minutes later, the Duke is dropped in on. Well, technically not really – but he does pluck Isabel Letham from the crowd and takes her for a wave. She is petrified, but makes the drop with Duke’s help.
All State groups joined together to become the Surf Life Saving Association of Australia. No one realises at the time, but budgie smugglers will one day be the costume of choice for free-thinking, independent and apparently sane, men who belong to these clubs. Amazing.
1st ever world surfing titles held at Manly Beach.
Bernard “Midget” Farrelly wins the men’s, Phyllis O’Donnell wins the women’s. Two Aussies at the top of the heap from Day 1!
American Kelly Slater would have won, but he wasn’t born yet.
Midget, a permanent fixture in Manly's surfing history.
Infamous Coke Surf-a-bout final with Larry Blair defeating Wayne Lynch.
Larry rides a perfect 7-second barrel – a tube so good, it’s still mentioned on surfing websites 34 years later.
World's richest? maybe, but not enough money to afford comfortable chairs for the judges.
Australian Larry Blair victorious after defeating Wayne Lynch.
Damien Hardman and Gary Elkerton surf off for the world title in the semi-finals of the Coke Classic.
Hardman wins. Gary nearly wins three more times.
Damien Hardman on his way to winning his first (of 2) world titles.
A teenager by the name of Taj Burrow, wins his first ever world tour event, the Coke Classic. It’s the most recent ASP Men’s Pro Tour event to be held at Manly. Burrow returns 13 years later to compete in the Australian Open of Surfing. Welcome back, kid.
The last Mens World Tour event to be held at Manly was in 1999.
Manly local, Layne Beachley, becomes Australia’s most successful-ever competitive surfer by winning her fifth world title on the trot. She wins two more just to put the achievement beyond all doubt. Like really, really, really beyond doubt. She still rips. Keep an eye for her around the event.
Tyler Wright sets a new ASP record as the youngest ever competitor to win a world tour event, the Beachley Classic, via the trials. She is 14. Wright returns to Manly four years later to compete in the Australian Open of Surfing. Welcome back, kid.
Australian Tyler Wright claimed her maiden world tour victory as a 14 year old at the Beachley Classic
The Australian Open of Surfing takes place on Manly Beach. Swimming is still legal. Dudes are still wearing budgie smugglers, the skating is incredible, the Channel [V] music stage goes off. Isabel Letham and Duke are riding perfect waves in the sky, (@#duke&izzy)
- AUSTRALIAN OPEN OF SURFING WITH BLACKBERRY 2012 Semi-Finalist and official BlackBerry reporter Laura Enever takes you around the Australian Open of Surfing.
- Surfection Co-Op Art Auction The Surfection Co-Op Art Lounge auction is officially open. Bid now to own a rare piece of art from one of 9 incredible artists, all…
- Banting And Fitzgibbons Claim Inaugural Australian Open Of Surfing Titles Matt Banting and Sally Fitzgibbons have taken out the Inaugural Australian Open of Surfing Pro today.
- Barros’ Beach Bowl Brazilian skateboarder Pedro Barros can expect a cult following in Australia after capping off a week’s domination at the Australian Open of Surfing Beach Bowl…
- Bigger, better, badder ... As if the idea of having a 12-foot skate bowl on Manly Beach isn’t crazy enough, Brazilians Pedro Barros and Bob Burnquist launched an aerial…
- Pro Junior Winners and 6-Star Quarterfinalists Decided At The Australian Open Of Surfing
- Lachlan Abbot, Beach Bowl Am Jam champ! Skating’s next gen got a taste of the big time, with the Junior Am Jam shredders starring centre stage in the packed Beach Bowl.
- Current And Future Surf Stars Do Battle At The Australian Open Of Surfing The Australian Open of Surfing has seen surfing's past, present and future stars doing battle in front of thousands of fans at Manly Beach. Today…
- Top Seeds Post Big Scores at Australian Open of Surfing The Australian Open of Surfing at Manly Beach ran a full day of the Men's ASP 6-Star division, with the top seeds hitting the water…
- Coastalwatch Surf Forecast - Feb 16th 2012 The high pressure system located over the southern Tasman Sea persists as the dominant influence on conditions; maintaining calm, sunny weather across the coast on…
- Competition Intensifies At The Australian Open Of Surfing The Australian Open of Surfing at Manly Beach presented by Hurley and Billabong was treated to another exciting day full of surf action. Today saw…
- Just a little bit of history - repeating? Who was Australia’s first surfer? As a country steeped in beach culture, you’d think we’d know. Turns out, well, we’re not sure.
- Fantastic Day of Competition At The Australian Open Of Surfing The Australian Open of Surfing at Manly Beach presented by Hurley and Billabong was back on again today with small but fun surf on offer.…
- Brett Simpson, in stitches (but not laughing) First, world number 3 Owen Wright pulled out from the Australian Open of Surfing and now Brett Simpson of the USA has had to pull…
- World’s Best Female Surfers Light Up Manly beach At The Australian Open Of Surfing Today the Australian Open Of Surfing at Manly Beach presented by Hurley and Billabong saw the world's best female surfers hit the water and put…
- Day Two Of The Australian Open Of Surfing Delivers! The second day of the Australian Open Of Surfing at Manly Beach presented by Hurley and Billabong saw sunshine and stellar surfing with both the…